ProFTP Version 2.2 - FTP client
Date: 12 July 2004
Labtam is pleased to present a new software update for ProFTP now - Version 2.2. It is our first major release for the 2004 year.
ProFTP is a file transfer program which allows you to transfer files between your PC and a remote computer using the ARPANET standard File Transfer Protocol. The program can transfer files in two different format types: ASCII format is used for text files, and Binary format is used for image files.
FTP must run on a machine that is configured for TCP/IP network communication or Internet access. Access can be gained through Winsock and the use of any dial-up provider, a Remote Access Server (RAS), or a direct connection via a local area network that supports TCP/IP. In order for FTP to communicate with a remote computer, that computer must have a server implementation of FTP (FTP server based on TCP/IP transports).
You can be connected to only one remote computer at a time during a FTP session. However, you can run multiple FTP sessions (FTP clients) simultaneously in separate windows, with each session connected to a different host.
New Features on this release include:
The following enhancements have been made:
- implemented the "-auto2" option for "setup.exe". This is the same as "-auto" option with the only difference: the Finish dialog message is suppressed
- implemented the "Enable TCP/IP KeepAlive mode" setting
- implemented the "Enable Logotype" setting
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Endless printing into the status area if an incorrect host name entered
- Incorrect listing when a link name will match to a user or group name
- Incorrect listing when a file name consists of spaces
- implemented the "Auto-start XwpPeg Package Watcher" setting to provide the corresponding control of the XwpPeg facility;
- FTP connections (in the "non-Passive", default, mode) can be made
an existing SSH connection with prepared Forwarded ports.
This way does not require a special Telnet/SSH facility and can be used
with any SSH-client which provides traditional Forwarding.
All settings are made manually.
Let's assume that you need to access the remote host
(say, 192.168.136.41) via FTP, and SSH connection is made with the SSH
which is on another remote host (say, 192.168.136.34), and each host
is directly accessible one from another (192.168.136.41 <->
Also, you should know two free ports on local machine (say, 21 and
one on the remote host connected via SSH (say, 5555 on 192.168.136.34).
At first, two forwardings must be made via SSH-Client facility.
Local-to-Remote: "21->192.168.136.41/21" (that in natural for FTP)
and Remote-to-Local Forwarding: "4444<-5555".
After that you must add two lines to the "[FTP]" section in the
"IP_SSH_FWD=192.168.136.34" and "PORT_SSH_FWD=5555,4444" (i.e., specify
the remote and local ports).
Now the FTP can be started. The "host" field must contain "localhost"
or "127.0.0.1". The "non-Passive" mode must be set up (i.e.
the "Passive Transfer" check box must be unchecked).
After "Connect" the FTP will be connected to "192.168.136.41"
with no direct network access (only via SSH connection).
- to control the session's restart/completion, the "ExitOnDisconnect=..." line must be added to the "[Telnet]" section of the "xwp.ini" file. The "ExitOnDisconnect=..." setting provides the following modes: - ExitOnDisconnect=1 - to suppress the start of a new Telnet_SSH session;
- ExitOnDisconnect=2 - to suppress the "Connection lost" message (only to write it into the telnet_s.out file);
- ExitOnDisconnect=3 - to suppress the "...open forwarded connections..." message (only to write it into the telnet_s.out file).
- the uninstallation procedure does not remove components which were installed in additional (non-first) installation sessions. Such additional components should be removed manually.
- printers on the remote MS Windows NT 4 hosts are unavailable from the local host under MS Windows NT 4.
Single User licenses are at $20.00 USD. Please visit the Software Pricing page for pricing on Multiple Licenses.
If at anytime you require any information or assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail us at: sales@Labtam-inc.com
Download and try ProFTP software for FREE. (Demo version runs 60 minutes at a time.)
The programs associated in this package may send and/or receive broadcast IP requests. Since such packets cannot cross the nearest firewall/gateway/router, please be sure that these IP requests are invisible from outside your network. We assume that such behavior cannot be considered as "Hacking" or "Trojan horse's action".