XConnectPro Version 3.0 - XServer for windows
Date: 15 March 2004
Labtam is pleased to present a new software package called XConnectPro Version 3.0.
Integrating the Microsoft Windows and X-Window System environments XConnectPro is a powerful and effective way to transform a standard PC into a fully functional X-terminal.
Included in the package are the X-Window System, TCP/IP, FTP, TFTP, LPR, LPD, TELNET and NFS plus a whole lot more.
Everything that you need to run all your remote Unix and X applications is included.
New Features on this release include:
The following features have been made:
- extra settings are now saved;
- implemented a new format of a directory listing for the NETWARE FTP daemon;
- implemented a new format of a directory listing for the Hummingbird FTP daemon.
- a review of runaway lines (as "old screens") was improved.
- refuses to close and shut down the system if mounts are active;
- can run as a pseudo-Service under Windows 9.x without Logon;
- added new flag FL_CHRISLESLIE to enable caching upon NFS writing;
- added the ability to write files of more than 4GB;
- added new flag FL_TZERAN to enable changing of the time zone difference.
4. NFS-Client for MS Windows NT4/2000/XP :
- The NFS Client now works under MS Windows 2003 Server;
- The NFS Client now supports Network Lock Manager Protocol ver3,4;
- The NFS Client now processes Linked Files as usual files or directories, if the final link object is reachable;
- The NFS Probe can check Universal and Local time on Server sites;
- The NFS Probe can use an SSH connection to check NFS servers;
- added filtering and replacing of illegal characters in Unix Names;
- added the setting of the maximal inode number on a mounted directory.
- the virtual root size limit was changed from 8192x8192 to the value and the limit of "width*height <= 56Mb pixels";
- added the "DeceiveSuSE9=1" manual setting to allow the XServer to be operational with Linux SuSE 9.0;
- added the "EnableScaledFonts=1" manual setting to allow the XServer to use scaled fonts.
- added two standard X-Clients: xlsfonts, xfontsel;
- added the "X11/app-defaults" directory for resource files.
7. XDK(X11 Development Kit):
- X11 environment (include files and API libraries) is now implemented. The XLib, Xt, Xaw and OpenMotif-2.2.2 are now supported;
- added standard MS Visual Studio project file for creating customer's projects;
- two X-Clients, xclock/Xaw and sampler20/Motif, are accessible as samples of the XDK projects.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- additional settings are now saved;
- fixed the incorrect selecting of the full Telnet screen region;
- fixed the incorrect receiving of some national characters;
- fixed some bugs in the "View of previous screens" mode.
- reads and writes service files created during a working session into a project directory;
- removed extra socket listening;
- NFS-Server crashed while processing an incorrect inode number.
4. NFS-Client for MS Windows NT4/2000/XP:
- fixed the incorrect operation on NonPaged Pool on the dirp objects when deleting files or directories;
- fixed the incorrect "Allocate/Free memory" operations on the NonPaged Pool for the FCB object;
- fixed the incorrect removing of registry objects during uninstalling.
- 100% CPU usage might take place if the XDMCP mode is used;
- a mouse position could be wrong after MAXIMIZE of the XServer's window.
- implemented the "Auto-start XwpPeg Package Watcher" setting to provide the corresponding control of the XwpPeg facility;
- FTP connections (in the "non-Passive", default, mode) can be made through an existing SSH connection with the prepared Forwarded ports. This way does not require a special Telnet/SSH facility and can be used with any SSH-client which provides traditional Forwarding. All settings are made manually. Let's assume that you need to access the remote host (say, 192.168.136.41) via FTP, and an SSH connection is made with the SSH daemon which is on another remote host (say, 192.168.136.34), and each host is directly accessible one from another (192.168.136.41 <-> 192.168.136.34). Also, you should know two free ports on the local machine (say, 21 and 4444) and one on the remote host connected via SSH (say, 5555 on 192.168.136.34). At first, two forwardings must be made via the SSH-Client facility. Local-to-Remote: "21->192.168.136.41/21" (natural for FTP) and Remote-to-Local Forwarding: "4444<-5555". After that you must add two lines to the "[FTP]" section in the "xwp.ini" file: "IP_SSH_FWD=192.168.136.34" and "PORT_SSH_FWD=5555,4444" (i.e., specify the remote and local ports). Now the FTP can be started. The "host" field must contain "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". The "non-Passive" mode must be set up (i.e. the "Passive Transfer" check box must be unchecked). After "Connect" the FTP will be connected to "192.168.136.41" with no direct network access (only via SSH connection).
- the "AUTO_CHECK_ExPortmapper=1" line can be inserted into the "[NFSSERVER]" section of the xwp.ini file to check whether an external portmapper exists to use it;
- the "FL_MITXELENA=1" line can be inserted into the "[NFSSERVER]" section of the xwp.ini file to avoid a directory permission problem for some NFS-Clients (e.g. of SCO UNIX 5.0.5).
This setting changes the default directory permission from 755 to 777.
4. NFS-Client for Windows NT4/2000/XP:
- the size of network packets can be changed instead of using the fixed value of 8K;
- the full set of settings can be saved to a file and loaded from it later.
- the package is installed with the native Installation procedure (using the "Custom" installation mode) without the necessity to deal with an additional separate executable;
- the links support was implemented (3 modes are available to do this).
- to input any text into the command line before its executing, the "$(INPUTLIP)" macros can be used. E.g., if the "Command" field contains the following line:
"xterm -display $(INPUTLIP):0" then you will be prompted to input a text string (an IP address is assumed). If you enter "22.214.171.124", then the resulting command line will be:
xterm -display 126.96.36.199:0 .
- the "Telnet_SSH/SSH2 (SSH-2 Client)" Start Method is similar to other methods except for the ending of a command line. The usage of the "&" sign is not recommended because of unstable results. E.g., if you need to start "xterm" remotely, then the "xterm" command line is preferable (and the "xterm&" line is not recommended).
- the "DontUse_MOTIF_WM_HINTS=1" line can be inserted into the "[XSERVERdeb]" section of the xwp.ini file to prevent the "_MOTIF_WM_HINTS" windows property from processing;
- the "DontCheckWM_SIZE_HINTSinc=1" line can be inserted into the "[XSERVERdeb]" section of the xwp.ini file to prevent the "WM_SIZE_HINTS" windows property from processing;
- the "ILikeLINUX=1" line can be inserted into the "[XSETUP]" section of the xwp.ini file to set up the LINUX's console keyboard mapping;
- the "MyIP=?" line can be inserted into the "[network]" section of the xwp.ini file to allow the manual input of a local IP address when the XServer is started.
- the uninstallation procedure does not remove components which were installed in additional (non-first) installation sessions. Such additional components should be removed manually.
- printers on the remote MS Windows NT 4 hosts are unavailable from the local host under MS Windows NT 4.
- there may be problems on PCs with several IP addresses;
- some Linux NFS-3 Clients may issue an error message (about the wrong file ID) because of wrong packets unwrapping in the Linux's "nfs3xdr.c" module.
4. NFS-Client for Windows 9x:
- PC must be restarted after you change the license file, "xwpdllid.dll";
- can fail when connecting to an NFS server on another PC under Windows 9x if both PCs have Client/Server for Microsoft Networks installed.
- drawing partial arcs can be very slow;
- the CDE/XDMCP of the HP-UX host can provide infinite waiting for connection. To avoid this, the new "HP" fonts alias directory should be included into the XServer FontPath;
- the "Forced Backing Store" setting can provide wrong screen re-displaying in some cases (e.g., Netscape scrolling).
Single User licenses are at $95.00 USD. Please visit the Software Pricing page for pricing on Multiple Licenses.
If at anytime you require any information or assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail us at: sales@Labtam-inc.com
Download and try XConnectPro software for FREE. (Demo version runs 60 minutes at a time.)
The programs associated in this package may send and/or receive broadcast IP requests. Since such packets cannot cross the nearest firewall/gateway/router, please be sure that these IP requests are invisible from outside your network. We assume that such behavior cannot be considered as "Hacking" or "Trojan horse's action".